Monday 23 April 2018

Study Task 9: Project Statement

During this module, I was able to read and research particular aspects of advertising in relation to graphic design. In particular, I researched about advertising's effect on audiences - in which to how extent can advertisements be persuasive or manipulative of the audience.

Through the research that I've made, it has also helped me with decisions in relation to my practical project. From my research Judith Williamson and Bunting stated how consumers can associate themselves with certain products, essentially also associating how they can be seen through it. In addition, looking at existing advertising such a De Beer's 1948 poster has given me some indication on how I could tackle my practical design. Using information about consumer identity, I have tackled the practical brief by associating my idea and concept towards the client's (IKEA) audience social status/class; identifying their most likely living conditions in relation to their age as well. With the target demographic being relatively young and local concuss as well as somewhat materialistic but thirty and cheap at the same time,  I have chosen a concept in which effectively introduces the products specifications to the audience in a refreshing and innovative way. I have created a design in which as Williamson said, 'sets up connection between certain types of consumers and certain products'. Using the idea of space through showcasing it on blueprints it makes the audience look at it in a bigger picture and possibly envision the product in their own living places' house blueprint, making them successfully relate with the product as well as relate it to their own lives. Furthermore, I have also used digital media as a source of advertising medium for the product. As Hendrick said consumers nowadays are mostly on their phones, therefore it's more effective to advertisement on mobile devices as opposed to traditional media.

On the other hand, I was also aware of the the opposing argument, especially from Gillian Dyer. Dyer mentioned how consumers are 'gullible dupes' and actually have their own opinions and beliefs. Consumers are not as easily persuaded or manipulated as thought. Having this in mind, I tried to create a design which is mainly aimed at a very specific consumer demographic, who possibly have some trust in the company because I thought it would be best to maximise the audiences that who are meant to see it than create a general advertisement in which audiences may not necessarily look or read it as they 'cannot be affected by the media if they do not fulfil or gratify a need'.  

I think overall, the practical project that I have produced successfully reflects the theoretical researches that I have made in relation to the area of design that I explored in much detail. The choices in the designs that I've made has reflected the points that I have made in my theoretical research, therefore answering both the practical brief and the research overall.

No comments:

Post a Comment