Thursday 8 November 2018

Study Task 1: Setting a research question

CoP is a module which helps us develop and understand our practice even more using research and practical work for it.

10 words that relate to my graphic design practice:
  1. organised
  2. type
  3. minimal
  4. digital
  5. handmade
  6. experimental
  7. indecisive
  8. inconsistent
  9. 9
  10. 10
I will need to:
Develop a considered research question focusing on a specific Graphic Design discipline.

RESEARCH, UNDERSTAND and APPLY.

Deliverables:
  • Blog - reflections, tasks, research, images, evaluations and assessments of work, developments etc.
  • 2500 critical essay (500 evaluation- reflecting on the project that we've done) 2000 GOES TO RESEARCH, THEORY ETC.
  • 6 Design Boards
  • Design Work
DEADLINE : 04/04/2019 by 15:00   

Part 1: Critical Writing (Essay) - Intro (explain subject of study, why it's important)
           Critical Argument - developed through a discussion of triangulated academic sources (HARVARD REFERENCE)
           Case Studies (1-2 contextual examples) might be examples of illustration, objects,                  practitioners. cultural phenomenons that relate to the theme 
*Bibliography - Visit the CoP resources page on Estudio.
*Looking Closer Series 

Part 2: Visual Investigation (Practical)
Synthesis 

20% Research/ Critical Awaareness) 
20% Sythesis - reference between research nad practical work. 
20% Critical Awareness
20% Practical and Professional Skills
Key Transferrable Skills

Write down 10 Design Issues/ Themes You Are Interested in:
  1. Culture
  2. Pop Culture - celebrities, magazines, pop art
  3. Music
  4. Artist branding
  5. Humour 
  6. Puns - parodies, visual puns, linguistic puns
  7. Cooking
  8. Hobbies e.g. collecting fruit stickers
  9. Language 
  10. Bilingual - convergence, divergence
HOW?

READ AROUND THE SUBJECT
FIND EXAMPLES - CASE STUDIES
ASK QUESTIONS
PRACTICAL RESEARCH
ASK QUESTIONS
TEST IDEAS
ASK QUESTIONS
GET FEEDBACK
REFLECT 

  10 THINGS YOU READ ABOUT/ RESEARCHED LAST YEAR IN PPP, COP OR STUDIO 

  1. Korean Music Industry - how artists/singers/groups are branded and marketed - album covers, music videos, fashion etc.
  2. Research on Grids/Layouts - Josef Muller-Brockmann/ Aircher Grid
  3. Advertising and Communication
  4. How customers are manipulated and urged to buy in to a product
  5. How and what words and images are used to creative emotive language to bring in customers.
  6. 6
  7. 7
  8. 8
  9. 9
  10. 10
Use -> Theories - Theoretical Models/ Concepts
To Understand -> Phenomena - case Studies/ examples
And -> Practice - Practical Direction
  1. How are artists branded and marketed towards its target audience?
  2. How is humour applied in advertising a product?
  3. What are the conventions to create a successful advertising using humour?
Word - choose a word from your list and break it down even more e.g. it's related words, concepts, associations
          - what does it mean? define? synonyms - antonyms 
          - theories? writers, texts
          - behaviours, how it's challenged? phenomena, examples
          - practices, practitioners, processes 
          - communication, aesthetics

Establishing a Research Question: 
  1. Focus on specific graphic design discipline
  2. The question must be open ended
  3. Question must allow for suitable theoretical research as well as visual explorations
  4. POSITION YOUR RESEARCH WITHIN CONTEMPORARY GRAPHIC DESIGN practice - 
  5. Get preliminary research to gauge how much 
Thoughts& Reflection: 

As I was in the briefing for what Cop is this year, I think it is quite similar to the module from last year however this time around it's more free and open to us and what we like to do and develop more for our individual practices. I really liked this module set out as I feel like I'd be able to do what I want and which area of design I really want to focus on and want to learn more about. However at the same time, it is quite daunting because as of now I feel like I'm still thinking and choosing which area I really would like to do.  Last year, I did advertising and I did quite enjoy it however, I've also thought about Branding at the same time. Maybe I could do something in between? 

In addition, during the session we also did some tasks which helped us think about the kind of areas that we want to explore by generating 10 different words e.g. what we did last year, words that relate to my own design practice and themes and issues that I'm interested in. This helped me quite a lot as it made me think and look back at what I've learnt since last year (though I couldn't fill in all 10 for most of them). As we did this more, we also started to 'mash up' words together to create questions for our brief relating to the design areas and practice that we want to do. Whilst I was writing the questions, I've noticed that I kept making questions relating to advertising and branding which I have been interested in since last year. I'm thinking that maybe I could just develop this further but on another interest that I have.

For now, I'm still trying to decide which aspect and area of graphic design I'm gonna focus, either advertising or branding and the area of interest that I can base it on, e.g. music, culture, language. Right not I'm thinking of doing it on music, because it's something that I'm particularly fond of. However, I've also done it twice in different modules in 1st so  don't know if it's best for me to focus on other areas or continue this interest of mine of design within music.

No comments:

Post a Comment