Friday 1 March 2019

Interim Crit with Helena

I had a crit with Helena regarding the progression of my brief and essay for 502. I showed her a draft of my essay with was so far the introduction to it. However, I did outline to her what my main points of the the rest of the essay is. I also asked her for clarification if what I'm doing is related to graphic design as I feel like I'm going to deep into identity and consumption, and I'm not really talking about Graphic design elements as much as I should be doing for the rest of them. However, she did assure me that as I go along I will talk about Graphic design in a way that I link designs in album covers or colours etc. to the identity and so on, so I was glad I had that out of the way so I can continue forward. She also suggested me a book, that she's going to let me borrow which has a section about Mark Owens talking about Vaporwave, which will be very helpful for my essay as the genre I'm focusing on is closely similar to it (Seapunk).

Furthermore, regarding of the genre that I picked, I also told her that I'm also going to briefly talk about Punk for a comparison, however she said to keep it to one of make it really really short and brief so I won't get to tangled into the Punk aspect, as I also said how I wanted to refer to a genre that's more modern and established in the modern era as it would relate more to today's age which I can go into more detail into the theories etc. So for this, I'm planning to swiftly talk about Punk but gradually move towards referring only on Seapunk for the rest of the essay.

For the practical, I haven't really thought of what I could do, although she did suggest I could 'analyse' the genre and create an identity for it, kind of like a guideline to the visuals for its identity. Or, challenge this idea, and experiment on outward visual identity of people to see how much they relate their style with the genre that they listen to.

Thoughts & Reflection:

Overall, I thought it was a really good crit, and I got some good reassuring feedback as well as book suggestion that I well be excited to read further into. I will be taken on the suggestions Helena has said and develop my essay and practical brief further.

No comments:

Post a Comment