Thursday 21 December 2017

Study Task 6: Essay Structure

In this session we learnt how to structure our paragraphs for our second easy which we will have to talk in details about for our chosen theme- with mine being advertising. We used this document as a guide for our writing.

I tried using this guide to make a sample paragraph for my essay, so that I'll have an idea of what to do and how to write my points along with the quotes that I will need to discuss, so that my paragraph will end up understandable and concise at the same time.

"Portraying men and women differently can create a negative effect such as the feminism movement in the 60’s which aimed to stop gender stereotypes in media advertising. Though attempts to market ‘unisex’ products and apparel have been progressing. Companies advertise their products to show the ‘parity of the sexes’ (Edelstein, 1997 p. 83) such as Calvin Klein’s 1995 ad for their fragrance which shows male and female models seemingly talking to each other naturally. By doing this, it creates a certain mood which may depict the sexes as equals, through their casual conversations, which shows them relating with each other and not depicting one sex as dominant or submissive. This can reflect to the audience as a product that is ‘appropriate’ for both sexes therefore exterminating the stereotypes between men and women."

I think trying to follow this guide gave me a better understanding of how to start off my paraphrase by introducing the points first then writing out the rest of me explanation. I think int he future, I might aim to still follow this guideline as I personally found it quite helpful to explain my points.

No comments:

Post a Comment